Monday, September 1, 2008

Graduate School, Week One


Well, I'm here, a bonified graduate student. Honestly, I'm not quite sure what to think yet. I had a pretty stressful first week, full of bureaucracy and spending too much money on books and rent and such. Apparently there was a mix-up with the deposit slip I used to set up a direct deposit of my salary...and no salary appeared when it was supposed to. As you can imagine, for someone who lives paycheck to paycheck this was a bit of an issue. I think I have it figured out, and hopefully can get everything paid before I leave for Mexico on Thursday. THURSDAY!! Yikes! I've always been one of those people who talks about how much they want to travel to foreign countries, but never has. I'm scared! Logically I know everything will be fine, and I'll be so busy I won't really have time to be lonely or even really think about how far away from home I am. But, that doesn't always quiet the worries and thoughts in my head right now.
Classes are going to be pretty tough. The one graduate level class I'm taking, Statistics, is going to be a toughie. I have homework due on Friday that I haven't started yet due to the parents visit, so hopefully it won't really take 20hrs like Erick said it might...I'm really really hoping it won't:) Parasitology is a 400 level class, and won't be too bad I don't think. Like any other micro class I've taken. Fun lab, and lots to memorize for exams that I just might promptly forget upon completion:) I have to do well in that class though, my advisor is one of the professors...wouldn't do to slack off!
The parents just headed home after a lovely labor day weekend visit. They brought Lucy, and all three of them slept on the futon last night, a very cute picture. Uncle Kevin outdid himself as usual with delicious breakfast and dinner yesterday, Caley missed out! I love when parents come to visit because I don't have to pay for any food, they stock up my cupboards, and buy me beautiful tables and rugs and shoe holders. I'm charging my camera right now so I can take some pictures of the apartment to post. Caitlin keeps asking for them, and I keep forgetting. Now the rooms are almost complete though, I kind of have to show off how wonderful my place is!
I hope I can track down some internet access while down in Mexico, I'd like to be able to keep a diary of that trip as well. I'm not so confident the internet will happen, so maybe I'll just type something every night and post them all when I get home.

Sorry I haven't posted forever, you know how it is...and I'm always like this with diaries and things. I go through phases of tons of writing, then slack off for months at a time. Oh well, now that I'm on the computer all the time at school, perhaps the posts will be more regular.

ciao,
Megan

No comments: