Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Day Six









Day Six 9/9/08 I have lot's of pictures today!!! We went to the most beautiful town up the mountains. The breeze lifted the sweaty shirts off our backs, and was fresh and clean. The plants clung in tenacious clumps to the pines, and even to the wires strung throughout the rooftops of the barrios. Apparently (and this is very cool) all of the pines in North America and possibly all the Americas, originated in the highlands of this area. I believe Dr. Black called it the center of diversity or something like that. Anyway, very neat!! I was thinking today, if I ever had to flee the country for any reason, I would live in a place like this. High mountains, kind people, simply gorgeous views...coffee....perfecto! On the way back to Tapachula this afternoon we got caught up on a little revolution! We were the first car to get stopped in a roadblock by the townspeople of a tiny little village who had been without electricity for two years! They got fed up and stopped traffic as a sort of publicity stunt. It worked, we got through when someone from the electric company showed up. This was our last collecting day. The rest of the time here will be spent sorting out the mosquitoes to make sure we have the right kinds, and getting them to lay eggs that we can take home with us. I need these eggs to get my project started, which makes it easier to do the work since I have a vested interest. The past two nights Caley and I got to video chat!!! It's the coolest thing ever! Tonight I took him on a tour of the hotel and introduced him to some of the staff I've made friends with :) Ha, it was awesome! I wish some of my family members had mac computers....ahem, Caitlin!! (and Mom and Dad...) Tonight at Dinner we got to hang out with three of Tapachula's four Italians:) Two from the lab, and the other is the owner of the Italian restaurant we ate at. Muy rico!!! I love eating at a table where languages fly about and people are having interesting intelligent conversations. I guess I should say, I like eating with people who know more about my work than I do. It challenges me and gives me a lot to think about. Sometimes too much, I've been dreaming about larvae:) Ok, I'm posting pictures now, and I'll try to post more on facebook, because there are too many for this blog! Love and Miss you all! Ciao, Meganita

Pictures: Ask for details, there are too many to explain:)

No comments: