Thursday, September 4, 2008

Day One: 9/4/08




Day One 9/3/08 The plane is empty! I have my own row and have stretched myself out across all three seats to write the first part of my first entry for the trip! I imagine I’ll have to write more tonight after we make it to our final destination of Tapachula, Mexico! Caley says I’m guilty of using too many exclamation points…I think 3 in the first 4 sentences is hardly enough☺ I’m such a wimp, I kept it together (kind of) until Caley walked out the sliding glass doors, but then the tears started leaking out. Not because of anything in particular except maybe just a fear of the unknown and how fast goodbyes at the airport always are. Ironically we forgot to say the typical goodbye “I love you.” Which prompted not only a tearful phone call five minutes later, but a smile because we don’t really need to say anything. Things to do that I don’t really want to do this trip are, one, get bitten by mosquitoes…but I forgot my bug spray! Two, study….but I have an exam three days after I get home, and really don’t want to reschedule it. Three, get a tropical parasite….my class has me a little paranoid. And four, be a mopey cranky little girl…I think I can manage, only as long as my granola bar stash survives. All right, time for some Scrubs☺ Sitting in Mexico City airport...terminal two (took forever to find it...) I just had a delicious cerveza and wrap type thing. Mexico City is HUGE as in the biggest city in the world!!! The things I noticed


I was rudely interrupted by a frantic last minute boarding procedure, turns out they sent us to the wrong gate… Anyway, Mexico City was amazing, it would be fascinating to spend more time there, tour the churches and see all the culture. I think I might have caught the traveling bug already.

WE inadvertently caught the same flight as some of the big wig scientists here at the institute. I guess they’re in town for a few days on a political visit. Already I don’t like the head lady, she’s domineering and loud and clearly a woman who gets her way. Obviously it’s taken her far, but I don’t think many people actually get along with, or like her.

I’ve taken lots of pictures so far, and will try to find somewhere to post them, I was hoping for a miracle and wireless here in the hotel, but it’s not gonna happen. I miss you all already and feel very far away.

Ciao,

Megan

Ps. I love the green bear


Pictures: The car on the way down to the airport, my room at the hotel, me in my room on my first day in Mexico!

No comments: