Saturday, September 6, 2008

Day Two Addendum




Day Two Addendum

Returning sleepily and slightly wine drunk through the rain to our fairy tale hotel, I couldn’t help but think how this trip is already changing the course of my life. Suddenly I find myself in the company of people who speak of heat-shock proteins when discussing the climate of various places and how one acclimates. People whose conversation jumps from drunken Monrovian wine cellar parties to the implications of introducing a hybrid mosquito into the wild. I can’t get over the experiences of these people I find myself surrounded by. By far the youngest, all I can do is sit and listen to their stories of being in Warsaw pre-Solidarity council and living in Somalia, and traveling in Thailand, and a million other seemingly offhand exchanges which leave me wanting those same kind of opportunities. Stick with me Cales, we’re goin’ placesJ

The dinner party was incredible. Incredibly intelligent people, three languages flying around, and most know another, guitar by lovely nerdy Tony, and an impromptu lecture given by none other than yours truly…that’s right, Dr. Black put me on the spot, in front of everyone, to explain my project! Good thing we’d had a 20 minute tutorial last night in the airport…It seems I performed all right, getting congratulations from Dr. Black, and even eye contact from Janeane (who actually kissed me goodbye tonight, amazing!) Laura is excited because my project directly gives her something to use to extend her fellowship for another year…she had been worrying how to do it. So, pressure is on I guessJ At least now I’m more invested, and it sounds like I get to come back down and work with Laura on the big cage releases…which would be awesome! She’s great, and Luca, her boyfriend has been extremely helpful. We three are the youngest, with the other Megan coming in fourth…although; her tambourine playing tonight was quite youthfulJ

I love and miss you all, good night,

Megan


Pictures: A Tilapia fish the local had in a five gallon bucket, collecting in the cemetery, and a view of the cemetery (I've been hangin' with a lot of dead people lately).

2 comments:

Caley said...

why can't we have cemeteries like that?

mcassidy25 said...

No say, it's so wonderful though! It's like death is part of their lives, and they just go hang out in the cemeteries and drink beer and visit and think about their loved ones. Even though I want to be cremated, I think this is a wonderful way to remain close to those you've lost. Plus, Dia de Los Muertos sounds like a hell of a lot of fun:)