Friday, June 22, 2012

Back Home

I better be careful, or this place really will become home....

Our last day and a half in Venice was just as wonderful and magical as the first 1.5 were.  Totally exhausted from our first full day of wanderings, we took it pretty slow, waking up just in time to get down to the breakfast part of our "bed and breakfast" hotel, hanging out at the hotel for a few hours so Caley could work,even taking naps during the hottest part of the afternoon.  Our big event was a Vivaldi Concert performed in a beautiful old church.  Another favorite sighting of the day was an incredible church we stumbled upon that was made entirely of different colored marble.  I'll try to add captions to my photos, but I counted at LEAST 10 different colors of marble.  We didn't go inside because you had to pay, and I don't think my skirt covered my knees = too scandalous to be allowed, Oh Catholics...

The Vivaldi concert was so amazing.  They played the Four Seasons, then a few other brief pieces from other Venetian composers, but my favorites of the whole night were the three encore pieces!  The soloist was soooo passionate, had greased back hair, eyelashes so dark it looked like he was wearing eyeliner, and as Caley put it, it looked like he was making love to that violin :)  Hahaha, SO Italian! His last piece broke a bunch of strings on his bow, what an entertaining performance!

Now we are back in Annecy, and still don't have internet...we missed the phone call from the service provider to set up yet another appointment...and they haven't called back today. I'm so unbelievably frustrated by this complete ineptitude and ridiculousness! They make Comcast look like business of the Year! Caley says I just have to adjust my expectations...

We had a great ride up Col de la Forclaz, a former Tour de France climb! There were a bunch of names painted on the road from previous tours. Unfortunately they don't go up this year, but they do go up another one nearby that is a Hors Categorie!  We are going to ride it at some point, but I think I need a few more rides in my legs before we try it.  At the end of the ride we stopped to take a swim in the lake.  I have never seen a lake that is so clear and clean as this one! Something about the rocks that the rivers flow through before getting here filters the water, and gives it this absolutely gorgeous turquoise color that reminds me of the Mediterranean, just surrounded by Alpes.

Ok, enough rambling, here's what you've all been waiting for, some pics!



Also, here is a taste of the Vivaldi Concert.  Caley was recording a bit of the encore for some work live update test thingy, but I'm going to borrow it for here :)

No comments: