Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Back to Reality

Christmas break is over, school has begun, and I'm back at work trying to pass the time until the machine is done (seems like half my life I'm doing this...). Fort Collins saw a high of 67 degrees today! We might as well still be in CA minus the ocean! Santa Barbara was absolutely amazing. I arrived at LAX around 7:15 and Caley arrived around 8pm after braving LA traffic to pick me up; as I waited outside in tank top and flip flops I could already tell the trip was going to be awesome. The apartment we stayed at with friends from the UCSB cycling team was packed to the gills with bikers, clothes, and sleeping material, but we fit just perfectly on an air mattress in the living room. The first full day we split up into two groups, basically group one was whoever made it to the top of the first climb before the rest of us, and we headed out for an epic ride...a little too epic for me. The route took us through a small town in wine country named Solvang. Look it up, it's a trip for sure! Basically a small Danish town transplanted among the palm trees and yucca plants of the CA desert. Outside of Solvang we rode along Santa Rosa road which was absolutely gorgeous and rolling and picturesque with cows on the steep hills and vineyards as far as the eye could see. Even some orchards (not quite sure what) and a very muddy cauliflower field. We then hopped on highway one for some awful headwinds and continuous up hill. By the time we hit 95 miles, I was done and had to call someone to pick me up. Unfortunately my knee did not survive the ride and I had to take the next day off. Tried riding again the third, made it about and hour and a half, and didn't ride the last day, but spent a lot of quality time on the beach and relaxing which I think I deserved after the week before at work:) The knee is feeling better now, still kind of tight and a little sore, so taking today off as well. Probaby back to it tomorrow though. Caley and I also got to have a lovely family dinner at the Kents house up on the hill overlooking Santa Barbara and the ocean. Fantastic salmon and salad and bread. The whole team is invited back to stay with them next year which I am all in favor of!!!
Sadly words and pictures do not do justice to the magic of the coast, but I try, and here are some pics to gaze upon with envy!
Love,
Megan







No comments: