Friday, June 13, 2008

Random Thoughts, Work Ending, Grad School Issues

Here again, bored at work, completely out of things to do. Caley dropped me off this morning, so I have no way of getting home until he's done which won't be until around 6 because he has to go to the bank after he gets off....LAME!!! The reason we are driving the car lately happens to be a dear dog named Carter. We are babysitting while Brian, Caley's boss, is out of town. Carter is a boxer, and is one of those dogs that's so ugly he's cute:) Last night James and his girlfriend Mia brought over Mia's dog, Umay, to play. The two of them had a grand ole time romping around. Carter got tuckered out after about 5 minutes:) It's a good test for us though; I want a dog soooooo bad and after living with Carter, I know I could do it, but also know that I won't have enough time until at least half way through the year. Also, if plans for moving to Europe ever actually work out, moving a dog would not be so easy. Or just traveling around Europe for that matter....
I just said goodbye to Scott, PhD student I've been working with for the last two years. He's off to Atlanta, GA for some conference, and I have two more days of work before I leave. It's kind of sad, he's been a great boss, and I've learned a lot. We've developed a great working relationship and I would consider him a friend I could go to if I ever needed anything in the way of advice or a letter of rec or anything like that. We've had some great conversations over the past two years (mostly when we're both procrastinating...) He's Mormon, so I definitely got exposed to some different viewpoints than my own, but that's good for anyone. Lately he's been giving me a lot of relationship advice which I really truly appreciate. He's been married for 10 years coming up this month I think, and he's so much closer to my age than the parents, for example, that he can relate to things we are going through. Not like Caley and I encounter things married people do, but just stuff like how to treat each other fairly and how to work through problems etc. In any case, it's nice to have older people to talk to about that kind of thing.
I've been dealing with some stress about my grad position next fall. Things are pretty much falling apart in the Titus lab, and I'm almost certain now that I won't be able to do my research with them. I've been in touch with the department head though, she's an old teacher of mine and actually oversees Scott's project, and she recognizes that the department already made a commitment to me and that we will figure out a solution. Still, I'm leaving in five days, and all this will have to be through email and phone while I'm gone. I NEED a job when I get back in order to pay for food, utilities, etc, so I'm kind of nervous. I have confidence it will all work out. I just really really really want a lab that will be supportive and actually want me. I kind of feel like I did when my first lab professor dumped me when she went on sabbatical and then dumped me again when she got back because of lack of funding. However, that turned out to be a blessing in disguise, maybe this will too.
Well, I'll keep you all updated!
ciao,
Megan

2 comments:

ccassidy said...

When on earth are you planning on living in Europe? What about plans of living in Marquette, with me???

mcassidy25 said...

Wellllll, that's the current dream for after grad school. Who knows, maybe just traveling around. By the way, I never, never, never, said I would move to Marquette the land of living ice and snow and desolation. Remember, I had very traumatic experiences there as a small child:)
I would live with and support you while you get a cooking degree somewhere though....:)