Monday, June 22, 2009

In anticipation of a grilled dinner!

Caley and I have been grilling a lot! His favorite of course is sausage from Sunflower or our new found Beaver Market:) Tonight will be an experiment! Grilled portabella mushroom caps and maybe some grilled red pepper? From looking up a bunch of general recipes, this is how I imagine I will grill them:

4 portabella mushroom caps with stems removed and wiped with damp towel
4 cloves of garlic
some olive oil
chopped shallots?
some balsamic vinegar

Marinate mushroom caps for ~20minutes in mixture of oil, vinegar, chopped garlic and shallots

Grill caps 3-4 minutes each side!

Serve with grilled peppers on buns, or just eating them like steak! Whoo, very excited! Most recipes I've looked up are a variation on the theme of olive oil, some simple spices, and maybe some vinegar, but since I'm a huge fan, we're doing the vinegar for sure:)

I'm also going to try grilling some summer squash later this week, and if the salmon is on sale at Sunflower...maybe that too! Grilled salmon is just about my favorite ever!

Last night we had a delicious shrimp curry a la master curry chef Caley :) It was called peppercorn shrimp in the book, but we substituted normal pepper (didn't have peppercorns) and substituted cumin seeds for mustard seeds cause we didn't have any of those either, but it was soooo delicious! I love the taste of curries with coconut milk in them, a lot more mellow and sweet than some of the non coconut milk ones we've tried. We are big curry fans :) Not sure if I mentioned the smoky eggplant curry I made a couple of weeks ago, but WOW is all I can say!! Definitely going to make that one again!

I wish Caitlin would blog some more and put up some awesome recipes that she's been making...:P
-Megan

2 comments:

Anna said...

Megan it's not fair for you to talk about all of this amazing food but not how to make it :) My stomach is growling! The portabello mushrooms sound good too and not too hard. I love being able to grill during the summer!

mcassidy25 said...

maybe i'll post some more recipes! yet another thing to do while at work and waiting for my stuff to incubate :)