Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Summer is AWESOME!!!

It's been a few days since I last updated, so let me give a recap of the awesomeness of my summer so far :)

Day One: Friday afternoon! Beautiful mtn bike ride with Caley, Erick and Aaron. I got dropped super hard, but that's ok because then I can go my own pace :) Perfect way to kick off summer, get all the stress from finals out on the trail.

Day Two: Saturday was a lovely day! Slept in, biked out to Verns with Emily and Brendan and Caley for epic cinnamon rolls and hearty breakfast, got some fun books to read at the library, read until it was time to go to Tirrels grad party, then the party! Tirrel and family put on an awesome party with keg of Easy Street, tons of delicious salads and grill food and deserts. We stayed until it was almost dark, chatting and playing badmitten. Watched some Star Trek season I and went to bed. I have to add here, Caley has been watching the old Star Treks ever since we saw the movie so that we can go see it again and he'll understand all of the tiny little reference that only Trekkies would understand:)

Riding to get cinnamon rolls on the tandem<3 (click on picture to see larger version)


Day Three: Sunday was another amazing day!! We woke up pretty early to get the bikes ready and packed up, then headed over to breakfast at Uncle Kevins. First breakfast of the year out on the deck, and man it was hot out there already! We also got some delicious rhubarb straight from the garden for making a pie. Then it was off to gas up, get a fellow teammate and head down to Boulder for some criterium action! Caley's first race was at 1:15, my race was at 5:40...so, I had a beautiful day sitting in the park, reading my book, and looking up occasionally to cheer on the boys. Caley totally called me out on reading during his race :) He ended up 2nd in the cat 2 race, and was already tired for the pro12, which some super fast guys showed up for (guys who ride in The Tour fast...) so finished about in the middle. My race was awesome! A bunch of really fast girls showed up, Amanda, Meredith Miller, Amy Dumbrowski, Mara Abbott, some girl from Colavita who's Australian and wins lots of stuff...anyway, it was FAST! The first three laps were primes as well, so it was all I could do to hold on for those couple. I ended up staying with the front group for about half the race, dangled for a super long time, and then finally got totally popped with about 19 on the clock. I got caught up by a few other girls with about 16 to go, and after reminding them not to be mean to me (one yelled at me to pull through when I was, just not as fast as she would have liked....) sprinted to the finish for 2nd in that group, and 20th overall! Although, there were a bunch of lapped riders who got mixed in with us, and I know for a fact that the girl who placed "15th" I definitely beat, so who knows how I actually finished up! Which is exciting, and I'm sure there weren't that many girls who were Cat 3 so I'm saying I got top three for sure in the Cat 3's :) All in all a great day!

Day Four Monday: Worked the normal work hours, then went on the Rio recovery ride which was actually slow for the first time I think because people had actually raced over the weekend and were tired :) It was a gorgeous day, super hot, around 90 something for the high. We're definitely not used to the heat, but at least it's not humid! After the ride we stopped at Tirrels to attempt to help her finish the keg from Saturday. Wasn't going to happen, but we did get a few games of badmitten in, and some more good visiting time with cycling peeps. It's funny how they are the only people we hang out with, makes sense, but still funny at times how insular our world is. It will be really strange to move to a new place, guess we'll just have to join the local team whenever we do move!

Day Five Tuesday (today): At work, already been very productive! Took care of the mosquitoes this morning, updated and organized my notebook all afternoon, plus got the last of the primers designed and ordered with Dr. Black. Now I just have to start isolating DNA and getting as many females as I can to lay eggs for me! Hopefully I'll be able to have some results by the time we leave for CA...not sure if it's going to happen, but I'll try. Tomorrow will be spent grinding up my female mosquitoes, I hope to have some room in the big lab to work so I can have other people to talk to:)

I'm still looking for the picture thingy! As soon as I find it there will be lots of fun picks from the already great summer break!

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE IRON HORSE!!!!

No comments: