Tuesday, March 3, 2009

First Race Weekend Recap

First two races of the season have come and gone already! Saturday was here at the CSU oval, and we had a GREAT turnout!! Collegiate races were in the morning, and it was much colder than any of us wanted...but not too bad. I went off at 11 with 9 other A women, pretty disappointing field. Julia ended up winning, Tirrel was 4th and Rachel and I took 5th and 6th.




The two of us (R and myself) spent the whole race attacking the crap out of two CU girls. They couldn't hang for the last couple of laps so I was Rachels lead out.



I was pretty impressed with myself for putting in attacks and still getting back on to the group! Even though the group was only like two people...I did much better than I had anticipated. The afternoon was spent course marshaling for the USAC categories and then cleaning up the course and heading down to the Springs to stay with Tirrels family before the CC criterium Sunday morning. Sundays race was really strange, no one was strong enough to attack and get away for any substantial amount of time, and we were experimenting with switching up team leader...and ended up not having any sort of cohesion at all. In the end, Tirrel was second after a great lead out by Julia and she was very excited! I ended up like 8th or 9th or something because of a small attack I put in about two laps to go. It ended up popping one of the really strong girls from another school, but I was toast:) Not too bad though! Actually better than I've ever done at that race. It's weird not have the couple really strong, pro-level riders that we usually have.
Anyway, back to reality. I realized I forgot to leave my rent check before 5pm on Sunday, so I put it in there around 9pm, I saw another envelope, so at least I'm not the only one, and hopefully won't get penalized. It's the first time I've been late, and only by a few hours, and maybe he didn't even pick them up on Sunday! Aaah, still stressful. I also hadn't paid for utilities, and will probably have a late fee of like $10 cents since their offices were closed when I called it in. Or maybe not since it was Sunday again...we shall see.
Gels are going ok, I messed up two of them yesterday, one didn't set right and the other leaked out all over the place. Sometimes it's just completely random when it happens, other times it's because of the equipment...not sure which is was this time. Hopefully I can get two more good ones this afternoon before I load them all up. Dr. Black is getting anxious to move on to the next step as well (sequencing individual mosquitoes DNA to compare). For the most part though, this week is pretty calm, just have a small Stats homework and the rest is lab work. Maybe I'll even have time to ride my bike in the 75 degree weather today! Winds are pretty vicious though, maybe a run instead or something.
Well, I should go, seminar soon!
-Megan

No comments: