Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Climbing Alpe D'Huez!

Oh. my. goodness.  Today was absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!

Caley returned home after a week at the tour last night. Well, I guess it was a week away, not all at the Tour, he was doing some product launches etc etc...not really that sure.  I met him down at the train station, and we grabbed some dinner downtown before taking the nocti bus home (love that nocti bus!!)  This morning dawned bright and early at 9am, seriously milking the sleep-in time of summer...that is 4 whole hours more of sleeping than I get during the school year!  We headed downtown, picked up our super awesome diesel Renault Clio rental car, packed it up and headed South!  First stop, Alpe D'Huez!!  !!!!!!

Caley decided he wanted to go a little faster than me (and by a little, I mean a lot) so we said goodbye at the bottom and I was on my own.  Except I wasn't!  There were hundreds of cyclists out riding!  I haven't passed so many people in years! :)  The first bit of the climb is super steep, even with the switchbacks.  I was passed by a group of three gooney guys, tried to stick to them for awhile, but failed.   Then a pretty in-shape girl passed me and I decided to stick with her, about two switchbacks later (they are labeled by number) she cracked!  Whoo, go me!  I also passed a guy and his girlfriend, and guess who couldn't take being passed by a girl....he caught up to me and we chatted for awhile, turns out he reads Caley's stuff online!  I felt like a celebrity-by-proxy :)  When Caley got to the top he turned around and came back to climb the rest with me.  I was expecting to see him on about switchback 10 or 11 of 21 (remember, they are labeled...) but I didn't see him until switchback 4 to go!  I felt pretty good the whole climb (and Caley admittedly felt terrible, but I'll take it).

Here are some pictures!  Sorry for any repeats, or near repeats, I kind of just throw them all up here.



1 comment:

Anna said...

How incredibly awesome!! Nice work, that's great you are getting lots of fun, scenic riding in this summer!